Sunday, October 3, 2010

NOLA 9 Reflection

My project is called the New Orleans Nine.  The Louisiana Landmarks Society names nine endangered sites in New Orleans every year.  A committee appoints these places as "endangered" and creates a list that is supposed to bring attention to the people of New Orleans and across the country.  The job of this committee is to get the word out about these areas that need to be saved because of historical significance.  My initial impression was, "if they're on this list, then they're going to be saved."  Boy was I ever wrong.  As I was touring the city, I saw so many buildings, homes, and other things that were still in disrepair from Katrina.  I even saw a building that was on the list back in 2007.  It was still in rough shape and looked even worse than it did on their website.  It's called St. Roch Market.  When I discovered that the buildings that were on the list weren't being saved, it made me think.  If people's homes are still in shambles from Katrina five years later, why would anyone want to save a public building before saving their own homes?  Its sad to know that even the locals from New Orleans didn't have any idea what I was talking about when I mentioned the New Orleans Nine.  The committee isn't doing a very good job about getting the word out, are they?

1 comment:

  1. Here is a link to that site I mentioned with historic photographs--might be able to see some of your buildings in the heyday!

    http://nutrias.org/photos/photolist.htm

    ReplyDelete