Saturday, September 25, 2010

9-25-10 Saturday


Last night I went to a burlesque show with the whole gang.  It was super exciting!  I got to talk with 3 of the 5 dancers before the show.  They said they do these dances to express themselves, and not for the money.  Yes, the “strip” but “it’s more about the tease rather than the flesh.”  Being a former dancer, I saw what it was like for them to be so expressive in an environment so much different than any dance competitions or recitals that I’ve been in. 
Today, I got to go on a tour of the city.  It was pretty cool, although the bus was a refrigerator!  We got to see everything from a native’s point of view.  It was really interesting to see the effects and the thoughts and feelings about Katrina from someone like our driver.  After the tour, I went with Ashley to the cemeteries at the end of Canal Street.  It was so interesting to see all of those graves.  They are all above ground because the soil here is so wet and soggy.  Its called sugar sand.  Its loose soil and if everyone were buried underground, the caskets would all float to the surface!  Eww.  Well here are some of the images I took today.








No comments:

Post a Comment